This recipe is best with
- Rich Shortcrust Pastry
- 40g icing sugar
- 225g cold butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- 50g castor sugar
- 60ml lemon juice
- 45g UHT whipping cream
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs
- Beat butter, icing sugar and egg yolk until creamy and smooth.
- Add in sifted flour and milk powder. Mix until well blended into a dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry dough between two sheets of plastic to fit the base and sides of a 19-20cm fluted tart tin. Remove scraps of pastry from the edge. Press the sides of the pastry to make it even and prick the base with a fork (this is to ensure that the base is flat after baking).
- Bake pastry blind in a preheated oven at 180°C for 5-10 minutes.
- To make the filling, whisk together lemon juice, sugar, cream and lemon rind. Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes or until set.
- Remove tart onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve the tart immediately.
- (Chef's note: If you wish to do so, you can make the tarts in small 8-9cm fluted tart tins.)