This recipe is best with
- 75g cranberries
- 100g dried apricots, chopped finely
- 100ml apricot brandy
- 210g butter
- 180g castor sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g plain yoghurt
- 300g self-raising flour, sifted
- 4 egg whites
- 20g castor sugar
- Combine brandy, apricots and cranberries in a mixing bowl.
- Soak fruits for several hours, preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cream butter and sugar together with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in lemon juice and essence.
- Add in the soaked fruits and stir gently to combine.
- Stir in the sifted flour and yoghurt in two batches until well combined.
- In a small clean bowl, beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks are formed.
- Gently fold egg whites into the creamed mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and floured gugelhupf mould and bake at 180°C for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean and dry.