This recipe is best with
- 100g fresh dates, seeded and chopped
- 70g raisins
- 60g cranberries
- 150ml boiling water
- 1 sachet English breakfast teabag
- 150g butter
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour, sifted
- Grease and line parchment paper on the base and sides of a 20cm round cake pan. Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Combine cranberries, raisins, hot water and teabag in a bowl and set aside for 10-15 minutes to soak the fruits then discard the teabag and keep the tea liquid.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric beater until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted flour mixture alternately with the soaked fruits and tea in two to three batches. Mix until well combined. Stir in dates to mix.
- Pour cake mixture into prepared pan and level the surface evenly with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until cooked through when a skewer inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Leave cake in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.