- Heat olive oil in a heavy based saucepan and fry lamb shanks in batches over medium high heat.
- Cook, turning occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until meat is golden brown. Dish out and place into an oven-proof casserole.
- Reheat saucepan over medium high heat again. Add fennel, onion, carrot and garlic. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onion is golden around the edges.
- Add flour and cook, stir for 20-30 seconds then pour in stock and wine. Add rosemary and bring to a boil.
- Transfer fennel mixture to the casserole with the lamb shanks. Stir to mix and cover with foil or a tight fitting lid.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160°C for 1½-2 hours.
- Remove casserole from oven and stir occasionally.
- Braise the dish in the oven until lamb is tender and begins to fall off the bone.
You may also like