- Put dates in a bowl, pour in hot water and leave to soak for two to three hours.
- Grease, line and grease a 25 x 15 x 7cm loaf tin. Preheat oven to 180 ºC.
- Put sugar into the date mixture. Stir until sugar has dissolved completely. Add in beaten egg and mix well.
- Combine flour, wholemeal flour, mixed spices and baking powder in a mixing bowl and add into date mixture.
- Turn mixture into prepared tin. Sprinkle with demerara sugar on the top. Bake in preheated oven for one to one and a quarter hours.
- Turn out loaf onto a wire rack to cool. Slice and serve with butter.
You may also like