- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lard or vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 2/3 to 1 cup hot water
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Rub in the shortening until the mixture resembles very coarse meal.
- Mix in the hot water until mixture is sticky but can be used to form a ball.
- Set the dough aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Form dough balls the size of a small plum and roll in flour.
- Heat a flat pan over medium to medium high heat.
- Roll out the dough into very thin 15cm (6 inch) discs.
- Cook tortillas in pan, turning when it gets slightly browned and bubbles on the surface.
- When both sides are done, place on a dish and cover with a slightly damp dish towel. Then cover that with a dry towel.