- 475g Hong Kong flour or Waterlily flour or Superfine flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 1¾ tbsp double action baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 45g shortening
- 190–200ml water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 55g castor sugar
- Combine water, sugar and vinegar in a jug. Stir well to mix. Pour the mixture into the bread-maker pan.
- Add in the sifted flour, yeast, baking powder, salt, sugar and shortening.
- Press the start button for the dough programme. At the end of the programme, take the dough out and use it as required.
- After the pau has been filled with filling and shaped, place on a small piece of greaseproof paper and set aside to rise for 10-15 minutes.
- Steam the pau in a steamer over rapid boiling water for 11-12 minutes.