This recipe is best with
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 150g castor sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 90g desiccated coconut
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease baking trays with butter.
- Put flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add in oats and desiccated coconut. Stir the mixture so that it´s well-mixed.
- Combine butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until butter has melted and the mixture turns smooth. Remove from the heat. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda into water, then add to the butter mixture. (mixture will foam up instantly.)
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir well to combine all the ingredients. Take out about a tablespoon of the resulting mixture. Roll lightly into a ball and place on the prepared trays.
- Flatten with a fork to create a pattern. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave cookies in the tray for two to three minutes before transferring them on to a wire rack to cool.