This recipe is best with
- 300g butter
- 250g castor sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 240g self-raising flour
- 120g superfine flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- (Mix the cocoa, coffee and milk evenly)
- Sift self-raising flour, superfine flour and baking powder together. Mix cocoa powder, coffee granules and milk.
- Line and grease a 20 to 22cm cake tin. Preheat oven to 150 ºC. Beat butter and sugar until light.
- Add in eggs one at a time. Add essence. Fold in flour and mix evenly.
- Divide mixture into two portions. Leave one portion plain; add the coffee-cocoa mixture to the other portion.
- Put a ladleful of the plain cake mixture into the cake tin, add in a ladleful of the cocoa cake mixture and alternate until both portions are used up.
- Bake cake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.