This recipe is best with
- 450g butter (use good quality butter)
- 275g fine castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 20 egg yolks
- 10 egg whites
- 85g fine castor sugar
- 225g Superfine flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp mixed spices
- Line and grease the base of a 23cm (square) loose-bottomed tin. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sift flour, baking powder and mixed spices into a bowl then divide into three equal portions.
- Beat egg yolks until creamy with a hand-held electric mixer.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light. Add brandy and continue to cream until fluffy. Blend in creamy egg yolk mixture slowly and gradually.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients in three batches, one-third portion at a time. Mix well with a metal spoon.
- Whisk egg whites with sugar until stiff. Fold meringue into the creamed mixture until well-combined.
- Spoon 4 tablespoons mixture into prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or till golden brown. Remove cake tin from oven and turn off the oven. Heat up the grill.
- Brush each layer of the cake with a little melted butter. Use a skewer to prick the bubbles on the surface of the cake then press lightly with the flat bottom of a glass container. Continue in this manner until all the batter is used up.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of mixture over the first layer and spread evenly. Grill at 220 °c for 2 to 3 minutes or till brown. Repeat layer after layer till all the mixture is used up.
- For the final layer, preheat oven at 150 °c and bake the entire cake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave cake in tin for a while before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Cut the cake only when it is completely cooled.