This recipe is best with
- 200g ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 240g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 185g butter
- 10g cake emulsifier
- 180g castor sugar
- 50ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Grease sides and line the base of a 20cm round tin with baking paper; grease paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder together. Stir in salt to mix.
- Beat eggs, half the sugar and emulsifier until thick and fluffy, then add in mashed bananas to mix. Fold in sifted dry ingredients, blend well then stir in milk and essence.
- Cream butter and remaining sugar until light. Add banana mixture and blend until well combined. Turn mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 1 hour or until cooked through when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.