This recipe is best with
- 50g butter
- 70g soft brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into thin rounds
- 25g dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Cake ingredients
- 175g unsalted butter
- 50g margarine
- 160g castor sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 200g self-raising flour, sifted
- 40g dried cranberries
- Grease a 20cm round baking tin. Put butter, soft brown sugar and cinnamon powder in a saucepan over very low heat.
- Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens slightly. Pour the mixture over the base of the tin. Keep aside a few apple slices and arrange the rest on the base of the tin.
- Spread the chopped cranberries in between the apples. Leave aside.
- Beat butter, margarine, sugar, salt and essence until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted flour and stir in cranberries and the remaining apple slices to mix.
- Transfer batter to prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 170°C and continue to bake for another 40 minutes.