Coffee and nuts go hand in hand whether it be in drinks or in the form of a delicious cake. Add a dash of cinnamon to that pairing, and taste those divine flavours unfurl on your tastebuds. Bring together these complimentary flavours in this Coffee and Cinnamon Hazelnut Cake recipe that was put together for the coffee addict in mind. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Orange Carrot Cake
- Cherry Cheesecake
- Honeycomb Cake
- Mocha Cream Brownie
- Banana Frangipane Cake
- Apple Shortcake
- Salted Caramel Coconut and Macadamia Shortbread
- 200 g margarine
- 200 g brown sugar
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 15 g instant coffee
- 2 tbsp boiling water or 2 tbsp coffee liquoroptional
- 100 g ground hazelnuts
- 6 large eggslightly beaten
- flour mixture (sifted: 270 g cake flour, 10 g cornstarch, 2 tsp baking powder)
- 250 g Sour cream
- 100 g chocolate chips
- Grease a 25cm fluted Bundt pan or 23cm deep round cake tin with margarine and coat with flour.
- Dissolve instant coffee in either boiling water or coffee liquor in a bowl set over a pot of hot water.
- Beat margarine, sugar, salt, cinnamon, coffee mixture and hazelnuts with electric mixer on medium speed for about 5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs in three batches, the mixture may look curdled at this point. On low speed, add in the sifted flour mixture in three batches, alternating with sour cream in two batches until combined, scrape bowl and mix 30 seconds until glossy. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 50 – 60 minutes or until cooked. Remove cake from pan to wire rack to cool.