If you haven’t had kumquat with coconut, give this recipe a go! Something different for the festive season. This recipe was first published in Flavours.
This recipe is best with
- 250g digestive biscuits, crushed
- 30g brown sugar
- 160g margarine, melted
- 750g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2tsp salt
- 135g caster sugar
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 15g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 180ml dairy non-sweetened cream
- 600g kumquats, halved and seeds removed
- 125ml water
- 2tbsp sugar
- 2tbsp gelatine, dissolved in 125ml water
- Cconut caramel
- 100g gula Melaka
- 70g santan sawit
- 1tbsp margarine
- Grease a 10-inch loose-bottomed pan, lining with foil. In a bowl, mix base ingredients, then press mixture onto the base of the pan. Chill.
- Pre-heat oven to 170˚C. Beat cheese, salt and sugar till creamy, beat in cornflour, add in eggs and cream.
- Pour cheese mixture over base. Bake in bain-marie for 50 to 60 minutes, until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- In a pan, simmer kumquats with water and sugar, 8-10 minutes. Turn off heat, stir in gelatine and pour over the cheesecake. Chill until set.
- In a non-stick saucepan, melt gula Melaka, add the santan and remove from heat. Stir in margarine and leave to cool.
- Serve chilled, drizzled with coconut caramel.