This recipe is best with
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 90g butter
- 40g castor sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 500g cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 125g castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 100g steamed and pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Crust: Combine flour, butter, sugar and egg yolk in a mixing bowl. Mix into a smooth dough. Wrap with cling film wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove chilled dough and press onto the base of a lightly greased 22cm spring form cake tin. Chill for 20 minutes, then prick base with a fork.
- Bake blind in a preheated oven at 190 ºC for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans and continue to bake for five to six more minutes.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese till smooth. Add sugar and essence. Continue to beat until fluffy. In between the beating, stop the machine and scrape the side of the bowl to ensure that the cream cheese is evenly creamed.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Sift in flour and cornflour; mix.
- Stir in pumpkin puree and sprinkle in cinnamon. Mix till smooth.
- Turn out pumpkin cheese mixture into the cooked crust. Bake in preheated oven at 180 ºC for an hour or until the surface of the cake is firm to the touch and golden brown in colour.
- Turn off the oven temperature and leave cake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes with the oven door slightly ajar.
- Remove cake and place onto a wire rack to cool completely. When cake is completely cooled, chill in the refrigerator for several hours or, preferably, overnight. Cut into equal pieces before serving.