This recipe is best with
- 6 medium-sized Fuji apples
- 6 bamboo sticks
- 320g soft brown sugar
- 30g butter
- 75ml water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Push a bamboo stick into the core of each apple and leave aside.
- Heat water, sugar, vinegar and golden syrup in a heavy-based pan over a gentle low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil for 4~5 minutes without stirring, until a little mixture forms a hard ball when dropped into cold water.
- At this stage, brush the sides of the pan with a wet brush to prevent crystals forming during cooking.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and dip immediately into a basin of cold water. Tilt the saucepan slightly, then dip the apples one at a time into the toffee.
- Remove and twist over the pan once or twice until apple is evenly coated. Place the toffee apples on a piece of parchment paper until the toffee hardens.