Here’s a simple yet healthy chicken dish.
- 800 g free-range or kampung chicken (cut into chunks)
- 200 g fresh Chinese yam (cut into thick rounds, Hwai Shan)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked until softened)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 50 g ginger (sliced)
- 2 slices tong kwai
- 1 litre water
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- Marinate the chicken and mushrooms with the seasoning for at least an hour.
- Heat the sesame oil over medium heat and sauté the ginger and tong kwai until fragrant.
- Add in the marinated chicken and mushrooms. Continue to stir-fry for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour in water and stir to mix well. Add the Hwai Shan and simmer over low heat until meat is tender and the gravy is reduced.
- Dish out and serve.