- 1 quart chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (about)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg or mace
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley or chives
- Bring broth to a simmer and slowly mix in cream. Add salt to taste, pepper, and nutmeg. Cover and let mellow over lowest heat about 10 minutes. Serve hot or icy cold, topped with minced parsley.
- Home-Style Cream of Chicken or Turkey Soup
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large heavy saucepan over moderate heat and blend in 4 tablespoons flour. Add broth and 1 cup light cream or half-and-half and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Mix in all seasonings and 1 cup diced, cooked chicken or turkey meat and if you like, 1/2 cup diced, cooked carrots; cover, let mellow over low heat as recipe directs, then serve hot.