The reunion dinner before Chinese New Year is a very important event. It is more than just a meal; it is a time when family members who are scattered across the country and the globe return home and celebrate the reunion by feasting on mum.
- 1 kampong chicken, quartered
- 20g Chinese JinHua ham, shredded
- 200g spareribs, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 5 strips fresh ginseng, rinsed
- 25g dried scallops
- 1 piece South African abalone, sliced
- 2 fresh figs
- 200g pig´s stomach, sliced thinly
- 200g presoaked sea-cucumber, rinsed and cut into thick slices
- 2 litres water
- Salt to taste
- Scald chicken and spareribs in boiling water then drain well.
- Place chicken, Chinese JinHua ham, spareribs and the rest of the ingredients except the abalone into a double boiler. Pour in water. Double-boil for 1 1/2 hours until all the meat is tender.
- Add sea-cucumber and continue to double-boil for 20-25 minutes. Adjust with salt to taste.
- Cut abalone into slices and add into the soup. Serve at once.