- 900g boneless chicken, cubed
- 70ml Japanese soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sake
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp finely pounded garlic
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- Mix sake and soy sauce together. Add mirin, sugar, grated ginger, garlic and honey. Mix well and bring to a low simmering boil for 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Put chicken pieces into the marinade, turning them so that they are coated all over. Leave them to stand in the marinade for at least an hour or preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- Skewer the marinated chicken cubes with the bamboo skewers and grill or roast in a preheated oven at 200°C for 10-15 minutes. Turn the skewers over and roast for a further six to seven minutes, basting them occasionally with the marinade.
- When done, serve the chicken skewers immediately with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.