This recipe is best with
- 1kg pineapple chunks (about 1 pineapple, peeled)
- 100g caster sugar
- The Cookies
- 120g Bob's Red Mill Unbleached White All Purpose Flour
- 30g custard powder
- 120 butter (room temperature)
- 25g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp powdered milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (Optional)
- Coarsely chop the pineapple into chunks, and blend it with a blender for just 3 -4 seconds so that you will still get some chunky bits
- Pour the pineapple paste into a pan, add in sugar and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes to evaporate the juice. Stir it frequently to prevent it from getting burnt.
- When it reaches a sticky and golden consistency, remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- Apply some water to your fingers, and roll the pineapple paste into 1-inch logs. Put the pineapple paste in the fridge until ready to use.
- Sift the flour and custard powder into a big bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the butter and icing sugar until well combined. Add in powdered milk, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix again.
- Lastly, pour in the sifted dry ingredients slowly and form a dough ball with your hands. Cover the dough with cling wrap to prevent it from getting dry.
- Dust generous amount of flour on a work surface, roll the dough flat to form a sheet with 5mm thickness. Note: If the dough is too soft, you can place it in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to shape the lines of the cookies. Cut out the irregular sides with a knife. Then cut the dough sheet into a 6cm x 2.5cm (Or any sizes that fits your pineapple logs)
- Place one pineapple log at one end and start rolling it with the dough. Cut excess dough if any.
- Place them on a baking tray with a baking sheet. Gently brush with egg wash. Bake at 175ºC preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until bottom edges are golden brown and they're fully cooked. Cool completely on rack.
- Interested in cooking? Download Kuali app to get recipes at your fingertips.