Must say, this dish is more for myself – haha. Personally, am a big fan of pesto although I can’t say the same for the kids. For their benefit, every time I prepare this dish, there’s a Spaghetti Bolognese on the side, so the Crispy Chicken becomes a topping for both pasta dishes. To reduce the amount of meat during these times, their Bolognese version has no meat ;).
- 2 pieces of chicken breast, sliced half horizontally to make it thinner and easier to pan fry
- 1 row of Hup Seng crackers (about 10 pieces), smashed into bits
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 a bag of fusilli or spiral pasta
- For pesto Sauce:
- 2 bags of fresh basil, pick only the leaves and soft stems
- 300 gm pecan nuts (1 small pack)
- 100ml olive oil (prepare more as this helps to make it easier to blend)
- 32 gm or 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 5 cloves garlic
- Place the chicken breasts, which are cut in half horizontally, onto a chopping board and pound it slightly to tenderize the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Fill up a large pot with water, up to the middle. Throw in 2 spoons of salt and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, pour in half a bag of fusilli, or spiral pastas.
- After 5 mins, test the pasta to see if it's al dente or chewy. If it's ready, pour the pasta onto a colander and put it through an ice bath. Reserve some of the pasta's brine or salt water for cooking later.
- Place picked basil leaves, parmesan cheese and garlic in blender with some olive oil.
- With remaining olive oil, drizzle it as the blender is started. Continue to drizzle until all the ingredients are blending smoothly without interruptions.
- Remove from blender and place aside.
- Whip 2 eggs to create an egg bath and run the chicken cutlets over it before dipping it in the Hup Seng Crackers.
- Pan fry it over hot oil till golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the skillet with some olive oil on medium heat.
- Scoop in some pesto and pour the pasta over it. Mix well.
- Add remaining desired amount of pesto to coat the pasta. Add in some brine water if needed.
- Season to taste, remove and serve. Top it up with sliced chicken cutlets!