Kwangsi Stuffed Fried Bean Curd, this dish is so refined that it could easily be served at a banquet. It is traditionally made by the Zhuang ethnic group in Guangxi to celebrate the Spring Festival or Chinese New Year, as well as to welcome guests. Even though it is considered a recipe for a feast or festive, this dish has mild flavours that are non-typical like all our other festive food. We created this pork-free version so more people can enjoy this dish that carries a long heritage.
This dish is best prepared with Angel Brand Oyster Sauce.
- 20 fried bean curd
- 1 medium-size fresh sea spanish(preferred) mackerel fish meat, scrapped & minced
- 3 water chestnut, diced finely
- chives, chopped finely
- 2 medium red/yellow onion, chopped finely
- Salt Water Mixture - For Fish Paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15ml water (around 1 chinese soup spoon measurement)
- 1 tbsp Angel Brand Oyster Sauce
- 2 tsp pepper
- chopped spring onion
- Fillet the fish into 2 sections & scrape out the flesh from the skin & along the fishbone.
- Mix the flesh with some salt solution to form a fish paste using the hand or food processor.
- Add in seasonings, water chestnut & onions into the fish paste, mix well.
- Mix in chopped chives as desired.
- Before stuffing, gently twist the bean curd to loosen it up.
- Fill the fish paste stuffing about three-quarters full into the fried bean curd.
- Boil the stuffed bean curd in water for 5 to 10 minutes or until cooked.