- 3 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 75 ml oil
- 1 torch ginger, quartered lengthwise
- 600g fish, cut into 5cm chunks or 3cm slices/steaks. Fish options: Red Snapper (Ikan Merah), Threadfin (Senangin) or White pomfret (Bawal Putih)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 rounded tbsp (40g), tamarind pulp
- 650ml water
- Chilli paste ingredients:
- 15g dried chillies, snipped into 1 cm lengths
- 3 fresh red chillies (60g), seeded and sliced
- 100g shallots, sliced
- 2 stalks lemon grass, cut 12 cm from the base,sliced(30g)
- 1 cm (5g) turmeric root, sliced
- 5g shrimp paste
- 125 ml water
- Soak dried chillies in warm water for 15 minutes until softened. Rinse several times, discarding as many of the seeds as possible.
- Place the dried chillies, fresh chillies, shallots, lemon grass, turmeric, shrimp paste and the 125ml water in an electric blender. Whiz to a fairly fine paste and set aside.
- Squeeze tamarind and (650ml) water together with your fingers to extract the pulp.
- Discard seeds, set tamarind liquid aside.
- Heat oil in a roomy pan and add blended chilli paste, cooking on low heat until most of the liquid evaporates, oil surfaces and mixture smells 'cooked' and fragrant.
- Add tamarind liquid and bring mixture to boil. Add torch ginger, salt and sugar.
- Simmer mixture on medium heat for 5 - 6 minutes before adding fish.
- Cook until fish turns opaque,about 6 - 8 minutes. Add kiwifruit, bring mixture back to boil and take pan off the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
You may also like