- 1kg glutinous rice, soaked for at least 2-3 hours and drained
- 200g red beans, soaked for 2-3 hours
- Seasoning for the rice and beans
- 1 ½ tbsp salt
- Seasoning for the filling
- 1 ¾ Tbsp black pepper sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a wok and fry shallots and garlic till fragrant. Add in mushrooms, tim mui choy and tai tau choy and stir-fry for a while. Add in seasoning, mix evenly and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add in Shao Hsing Hua Tiau wine (optional) for extra fragrance. Dish 0ut. Re-heat the same wok and add in 2-3 tablespoons oil again to fry rice and red beans. Add seasoning to mix. Dish out.
- Fold 2 bamboo leaves into cone shape then place 1 tablespoon of rice and red bean mixture. Add 1 heaped tablespoon filling. Top up with another tablespoon of rice mixture. Tie with hempstring in bundles of 10-15.
- Boil 1/2 pot of water in a pressure cooker. When water boils, add in dumplings and add half teaspoon salt and half teaspoon sugar. Cover and bring to boil over medium heat until second red ring appears; lower the flame and time for 40 minutes. Makes approximately 30 dumplings.