measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml and if you want to read other delicious dishes, please visit soohmi.com
- 3 cups full fat whole milk – 750 ml
- 75 to 80 gms mawa/khoya/evaporated milk, about 3.5 to 4 tbsp
- 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar, adjust as required – i added 3 tbsp of unrefined cane sugar
- 1.5 tbsp rice flour or 1 tbsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp milk to dissolve the rice flour or corn flour
- 20 shelled unsalted pistachios
- 20 almonds
- 4 cardamoms, powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 1 tsp kewra water (pandanus or screw pine) or rose water or a drop of kewra essence or rose essence
- 2 pinch of saffron, crushed
- in a wide pan or kadai, heat milk on a sim or low flame for at least about 18 to 20 mins. the milk will reduce and thicken in this period of time.
- grate the khoya or crumble it very well. keep aside. powder the pistachios and almonds to a semi fine consistency in a dry grinder or in a mortar-pestle. keep both of them aside.
- crush the cardamom pods in a mortar-pestle and powder finely. discard the husks.
- dissolve the rice flour or corn starch in 3 tbsp milk. mix very well. keep aside. after 18 to 20 mins, add the sugar and stir.
- let the sugar dissolve and after 3 to 4 mins, add the rice flour paste or corn starch paste.
- keep on stirring after adding the paste, so that no lumps are formed. the whole mixture has to be lump free, so keep on stirring.
- after 4 to 5 mins, when the mixture has thickened, add the mawa/khoya, powdered almonds and pistachios along with cardamom powder.
- stir very well and just simmer for a minute or two on a low flame. keep on stirring so that the khoya/evaporated milk is distributed evenly. switch off the flame.
- add the kewra (pandanus or screwpine) water or rose water and crushed saffron. let the kulfi mixture cool.
- then pour the kulfi mixture in kulfi moulds or in serving bowls or in a tray. freeze the kulfi.
- once the kulfi is well set, unmould the kulfi sliding a butter knife at the edges. remove on a plate. slice the kulfi and serve immediately. you can also serve kulfi directly in the serving bowls or glasses.