This recipe and photo are courtesy of Mission Foods.
- 800g sashimi grade fish (e.g. ikan parang, tuna, yellowtail, mackerel, sea bass, snapper), skinned & deboned and sliced thinly
- 1tbsp vinegar, good quality
- 5 shallots, finely pounded
- 10 bird’s eye chilli, pounded
- 4cloves garlic skin, removed and pounded
- 15 calamansi limes, get the juice
- 2 red chillies, seeded and sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 purple onion thinly sliced, or Spanish onion
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 4tbsp peanuts, roasted and ground
- coriander leaves fresh, for garnishing
- In a large bowl, mix in the fish slices with vinegar. Squeeze out the excess vinegar. In the same bowl, mix through the pounded shallots, bird's chilli, garlic, lime juice, red chillies and onions.
- Let the fish ‘cook’ in the acidic dressing for at least 5 mins and then season to taste with salt.
- Just before serving, toss in the coriander leaves and ground peanuts.
- Serve the umai with the chips.