Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan Breakfast recipes, Bread Omelette. This is a portion of popular street food in India. It’s a parcel of savoury omelette wrapped around sandwich bread. Vendors using large metal hotplates make omelettes holding up to four slices of bread, but with our household kitchen skillets, we can probably only manage with one slice.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
This recipe was first published in TheStar: https://www.thestar.com.my/food/food-news/2020/03/30/cooking-from-the-stayhome-larder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 green chilli, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee for frying
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the three powders. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chilli, onion and half the coriander.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil or ghee in a large skillet. Pour in half the egg mixture and swirl the pan around to make a thin omelette. Place a slice of bread on the unset egg, then flip the slice over so the egg-coated side is facing up and in the centre of the omelette. Cook the egg until the bottom is set and light brown, then fold the edges over the four sides of the bread. Flip the parcel so the seam side is down and cook for a further 30-40 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the ingredients. Sprinkle with more fresh coriander and serve with chilli sauce.