Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series!
#HealthyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan Rice & Noodles recipes, Stir-Fry Quinoa Bowl. This quinoa bowl is packed with superfoods and fresh colourful veggies. Quinoa has a mild nutty taste and a fluffy texture when it is cooked well. It makes a good alternative for grains or other starches. Quinoa is a superfood known for its high protein content – it contains all eight essential amino acids. It is also rich in fiber and minerals. Toss it up with your favourite vegetables and herbs, it makes a good meal or side dish.
Featuring Chef Yong Mei Kei, the Director and Executive Chef at MIB College. She is a qualified food technologist and plant-based chef with a huge passion for food and well-being.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- 1 cup Raw Quinoa, trio-coloured
- 2 cups Water
- ⅓ cup Cucumber, diced
- ⅓ cup Cauliflower florets, blanched
- ½ cup Red Capsicum, diced
- ½ cup Yellow Capsicum, diced
- ½ cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup Edamame, de-shelled
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ cup Fresh Basil, chiffonade
- 2 tbsp Almond Flakes, roasted
- Rinse quinoa under running water through a fine mesh strainer. Drain well and repeat.
- In a pot, place quinoa and water to cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Remove pot from heat, cover and let the quinoa steam for another 5 minutes. Once ready, fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- 4. In another pan, heat up the oil and stir fry cauliflower, capsicums and edamame for 2-3 minutes.
- 5. Toss in the quinoa and add the seasoning. Add in cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Mix well.
- 6. Garnish with fresh basil and roasted almond flakes. Ready to serve.