To Prepare pan-roasted Chili Sauce:
- Using a mortar & pestle or blender, grind garlic, shallots and chili paste.
- Heat wok on high, add peanut or vegetable oil, add ground paste, bring to a rapid boil, add sugar and salt to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, pan-roast until color darkens, and oil starts to ooze from paste – be careful not to burn!
- Immediately pour the pan-roasted chili sauce into a small bowl, set aside.
To Prepare Prawn Soup:
- In a stockpot, add pork bones, 1 litres water, onion, salt to taste, bring to a boil, simmer 60 mins or more, to extract the maximum flavor of the pork ribs.
- Strain stock.
- In another stock pot, heat 1 tbsp oil, sauté shrimp shells & shrimp heads for 5-10 mins, add 2 litres water, salt to taste, bring to a boil, simmer 30 mins or more to extract the maximum flavor of the shrimp shells.
- Strain stock, discard shrimp shells & heads add the fresh shelled shrimps to stock to cook briefly, remove with a slotted spoon, reserve for garnish.
- Combine the pork stock and the shrimp stock. Bring to a boil, add 5 tbsp of the pan-roasted chili paste, more if you like it hotter. Add rock sugar, salt to taste, simmer for about 20 mins, then reduce heat to keep soup hot for serving.
- Meanwhile, lightly blanch bean sprouts and kangkung or spinach in boiling water.
- To serve – add to each individual serving bowl, bean sprouts, kangkung or spinach, thin rice noodles and yellow egg noodles.
- Garnish with pork, shrimp and fried fish cake. Pour piping hot soup and top with fried shallots and hardboiled egg half.
- Serve with a spoonful of extra pan-roasted chili sauce, to add to your taste.