ADD fresh huai shan, also known as shao yao and wild Chinese yam, to your diet to tap into its nourishing and immune system-strengthening properties. This recipe was first published in Amy Beh’s column, Cook’s Nook.
- 200g Kampung chicken, cut into medium pieces
- 200g spare ribs, chopped
- 200g lotus root, sliced
- 150g fresh haui shan, cut into rounds
- 60g carrot, cut into small balls or as desired
- 3 red dates, pitted and halved
- 8g yuk chuk, rinsed
- 800ml water
- 1/2tsp salt, or to taste
- Scald the chicken and the spare ribs in boiling water for a few minutes. Remove, rinse and place the meat into a double boiler pot.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the water.
- Double-boil for 1-2 hours, then adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot or warm.