Learn how to make Ayam Masak Merah from basic, a signature Malaysian Dish that made with chicken, spice and red chill oil. It is complex, spicy yet appetizing.
- Ayam Masak Merah:
- 1kg whole chicken (cut into 10 pieces)
- 1tbsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp salt
- cooking oil
- Ground spices:
- 10 shallots (peeled)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2in old ginger (peeled)
- 10 pcs dried chilli
- 2tbsp coriander powder
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 5tbsp cooking oil
- 1in cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 small bottle chilli sauce
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 10 red chilli (cut half)
- 2 tomato (cut wedges into six)
- 5in pandan leaf
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- Marinated the chicken with turmeric powder and salt.
- Deep fry until 3/4 cooked, put aside.
- Blend the ground spices with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Heat oil until hot, sauté ground spices until fragrant.
- Add in cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and chilli sauce, stir-fry well until the tomato paste becomes oily.
- Then add in the chicken, pandan leaf and lemongrass together.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and gravy turns thick.
- Lastly add evaporated milk, chillies and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and sugar. Serve.