This recipe is best with
- 300g semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 300g unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 115g brown sugar
- 115g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- In a bain-marie, melt chocolate over low heat. When completely melted, turn off the heat and add butter, stirring until completely incorporated. Keep warm until needed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar by hand with a wire whisk until frothy. Do not use electric mixer. Sift flour and baking powder into the batter and fold in until combined.
- Gently pour in melted chocolate and stir cake batter until combined.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and fill each cup with cake batter, making sure that every cup has about the same amount of batter.
- Bake at 160°C for no more than 20 minutes and immediately remove from oven.
- Then remove cakes from muffin tin to prevent further cooking. The centre should still jiggle. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.