This recipe was first published on The Star: https://www.thestar.com.my/food/food-news/2020/07/25/nests-full-of-glistening-jewels
- Potato Nests:
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups cooking oil for deep-frying
- Eight Treasure Stir-Fry:
- 1 chicken thigh, diced
- 100g shrimp, shelled
- 100g frozen mixed vegetable (carrots, peas and corn)
- 100g mushrooms, diced
- 75g capsicum, diced
- 20 quail eggs, boiled and shelled
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3cm ginger, sliced
- 3 bulbs shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp chicken stock concentrate
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt to taste
- ½ tsp white pepper to taste
- Slice potatoes in a mandoline with a julienne attachment. Rinse potatoes in cold water until the water runs clear to remove excess starch. Drain potatoes well and pat dry with a tea towel. Add cornstarch to the shredded potatoes and toss well to combine.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok over high heat, allowing the temperature to reach around 170°C.
- Dip strainer into the hot oil, add potato evenly around the sides and base of the strainer to create a bird’s nest, about one centimetre thick. Dip a ladle into the hot oil and push down into the strainer to create a well. Fry the potatoes between the ladle and the strainer until firm, for about ten minutes.
- When the nest has become firm, gently remove the top ladle. Turn the strainer over and tap firmly on the handle to release the nest. If any potato is stuck, gently ease the nest off the strainer using the tip of a knife.
- Continue frying until lightly golden and crispy. Remove nest and drain excess oil on paper towel.
- Lightly salt the potatoes while hot. Cool completely and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Bring water to a boil, add quail eggs and simmer for five minutes until firm. Plunge into cold water and remove shells.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil, add ginger, shallots and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add diced chicken and sauté until lightly seared. Add mixed vegetables and mushrooms and sauté until softened. Add shrimps, capsicum and quail eggs and sauté until shrimp turns pink.
- Combine seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Add seasoning mixture to the wok and sauté until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and arrange in potato nest.
Eight Treasure Stir-Fry: