Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’! In this ‘Cooking Up Korean’ series, this dish encases the amazing balance of sweet, spicy and salty! Marinated in a mix of spicy Korean sauce paired with rice cakes and vegetables, this Chicken Dakgalbi recipe is sure to impress your family and friends.
Save this recipe to refer to later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco | Lotus’s.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
Save more by buying the meal planner series!
- Chicken & Marinade (A):
- 350g chicken thigh (cut into bite sizes)
- 4-5nos garlic (minced)
- 1.5cm ginger (minced)
- 3-4 Tbsp Korean chili paste/gochujang
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1&1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Other Ingredients for Dakgalbi:
- 250g flat rice cake (soaked in water for at least 1hr)
- 300g cabbage (cut into bite size)
- 120g sweet potato (sliced thinly)
- 60g spring onion (cut into 5cm length)
- 2 cups water or as desired
- Onion Pickle (B):
- 1 nos onion (large dice)
- 4 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in (A) and set aside in the chiller to marinate for at least 2-3 hours or best overnight
- Combine vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a jar. Add in the diced onion and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours
- In a large pan, place the cabbage, followed by sweet potato slices, rice cakes and spring onions. And lastly add in the chicken on top.
- Turn on heat and stir-fry the mixture. When it starts sticking to the pot, you could gradually add in some water to cook.
- Once the chicken and sweet potatoes are cooked, you could turn off the heat and serve! Further cook or reduce your water if you'd like it drier.
- Add on cheese if you'd like. Enjoy with some lettuce and the pickled onions!