Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series!
#HealthyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan Rice & Noodles recipes, Lotus Leaf Rice. This is a meat-free version and it is a leaf-wrapped rice packet cooked with diced carrot, taro, mushrooms and vegan meat. The fragrant rice packet is steamed and gets unwrapped at the table before eating. This is a popular Chinese dim sum dish, usually served at festival dinners or reunion dinners such as during the Lunar New Year celebrations, or at a wedding feast. It is easy to make at home.
Featuring Chef Yong Mei Kei, the Director and Executive Chef at MIB College. She is a qualified food technologist and plant-based chef with a huge passion for food and well-being.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘Vegetarian’ recipe type.
- 4 pcs Dried Lotus Leaf
- 250 g Rice
- 400 g Water
- 1 tbsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 5 pcs Shiitake Mushrooms
- 10 pcs Vegan Meat
- ½ cup Carrot, diced
- 1 cup Taro, diced and fried
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Mushroom Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander
- 1 tbsp Roasted Cashews
- Soak the lotus leaf in boiling water. Wash and wipe clean. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the rice and water in a rice cooker and let it cook.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, stir fry ginger, shiitake mushroom, vegan meat and carrot. Then add in the rest of the seasoning, stir well.
- Lastly, mix in the cooked rice and cubed taro until well combined.
- Cut the leaf into two, use two layers of leaves to wrap each pack.
- Place a big spoonful of rice in the middle and flatten it out on the lotus leaf, wrap firmly. Wrap one more layer if needed.
- Place into a steamer and steam for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh coriander and roasted cashews. Ready to serve.