A nice plain pancake you may serve with jam, honey or a scoop of ice-cream.
- 300g plain flour
- 1tbsp instant oats
- 1/8tsp salt
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1tsp corn oil
- 100ml low-fat milk
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Add salt. Make a hollow in the centre, add egg and half of the milk. Stir until mixture is smooth and free from lumps. Gradually stir in the rest of the milk and beat with a whisk into a smooth batter. Leave aside, covered, to rest the batter for at least 30 minutes before using. Add oats and mix well.
- Heat a drop of oil and a bit of margarine in a small non-stick frying pan. Wipe off the oil from the pan lightly with a paper kitchen towel. When pan is just hot, pour a ladle of batter to thinly cover bottom of pan. Tilt the pan to swirl the batter around evenly.
- Cook over medium heat for a minute or until the upper half of the pancake starts to dry. Flip over and cook the other side. Remove pancake onto a plate.
- Continue with the remaining batter then stack up the pancake on the plate. Cover with a clean tea-towel to keep pancakes warm and soft until ready to serve.
- To serve: Fold the pancake neatly into a quarter then serve with jam, honey or golden syrup with a scoop of ice-cream.