2 Cups sugar + 1/4 cup water
2 Cups Boiling water
1 cup butter
1 cup condensed milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
8 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups self raising flour + 1 tbsp bicarbonate soda, sifted together twice
2 cups caramel syrup (recipe above)
1. Melt sugar and water in a heavy non-stick pan over medium heat. Do not stir at this point. Mixture will thickens and bubbles and will turn to the colour of tea at the sides of the pan.
2. Add boiling water and stir slowly, careful mixture is very hot. Continue stirring until syrup thickens slightly. (approx 2 cups.
3.Cool completely and set aside.
1. Cream butter,condensed milk, vanilla essence and salt until pale and fluffy.
2. Beat in eggs a little at a time until well mixed. Batter might appear curdled at this point.
3. Stir in flour slowly, until well incorporated.
4. Stir in caramel syrup in a thin stream and make sure batter is well mixed. Syrup tends to sink to the bottom of mixing bowl.
5. Pour batter into a lined cake tin and bake in a preheated 190 C oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.
6. Cake will look dark brown and almost black due to the caramel.