SAHUR is the first meal of the day during Ramadan. Many families will wake up much earlier than usual to prepare meals that will provide them with sustenance throughout the day until Iftar.
Chef Safura Atan has a variety of dishes ranging from main course, to soups and desserts that can be easily prepared. She has a cheat’s version of murtabak, or a pancake, that can easily be whipped up in a short time. She has also recipes for favourite dishes like one-pot chicken rice and BBQ chicken wings. There is also the option of cooking a hearty vegetable soup or making a pudding the night before to prepare for sahur.
Chef Safura Atan’s recipes will feature the use of palm oil. Palm oil products are a great option for oil as it is rich in vitamins and antioxidants, as well as being free of cholesterol and trans fat. They’re easily available at supermarkets and are reasonably priced.
Here are 8 recipes to inspire you this season:
1. Bubur Lambuk. Click here for the recipe. (top pic)
2. Corn Coconut Pudding. Click here for the recipe.
3. Hearty Vegetable Soup. Click here for the recipe.
4. Baked Macaroni. Click here for the recipe.
5. BBQ chicken wings. Click here for the recipe.
6. One-pot chicken rice. Click here for the recipe.
7. Coconut Pancake. Click here for the recipe.
8. Murtabak Sandwich. Click here for the recipe.
These recipes were first published in Flavours magazine.