This recipe is best with
- 250g blueberries (slice a couple of strawberries if blueberries are not available)
- 1 1/4 cups regular cream
- 1 1/4 cups thickened cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar extra
- Divide the blueberries between six ramekin dishes.
- Place cream and thickened cream in a medium saucepan and stir to combine.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Place pan over low heat and bring mixture slowly to the boil.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and the two tablespoons caster sugar until mixture is thick and frothy.
- Slowly pour the cream mixture into the yolk mixture, whisking continuously.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and reheat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens. Do not allow it to boil.
- Pour the custard over the blueberries, cool, then refrigerate for 3 hours until custard has set.
- Preheat grill until very hot.
- Sprinkle the extra caster sugar evenly and place under the grill. When sugar has dissolved and caramelised, approx. 3 minutes). remove from heat and cool the custard completely before serving.
- Serve the crème Brulee with extra fruit.