This recipe is best with
- 250g butter
- 210g castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200g self-raising flour, sifted with 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp fresh UHT milk
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with greased greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy. Add essence.
- Fold in sifted flour gradually to mix. Finally stir in milk. Mix until well combined.
- Turn out mixture into prepared tin. Level out mixture at the sides but allow a shallow well in the centre. This is to enable the cake to level up evenly during baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.