This recipe is best with
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 75g cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 50g cold margarine, cut into small pieces
- 3-4 tbsp ice-cold water
- 250g canned sardines, drained, washed, deboned and flaked
- 75g big onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tin Nestle reduced cream
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- red and green chillies, sliced thinly
- Lightly grease a 20cm to 21cm tart pan or quiche pan. Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in butter and margarine till mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in just enough water to bind. Knead lightly. Chill the dough for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough to fit tart pan. Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bring out from the fridge and line the base of the tart with grease-proof paper and fill with a layer of dried beans. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190 to 200°C for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Reduce temperature to 170°C and bake for five to 10 more minutes.
- To make filling: Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Saute garlic and big onions till soft. Add in curry powder and saute till fragrant. Mix in flaked sardines. Leave to cool slightly.
- Beat (A) lightly together then pour over cooked sardines. Mix evenly to blend. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pastry shell.
- Top up with red and green chillies and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 170°C for 35 minutes or until the filling is set and golden brown.
- Serve quiche warm or chill well before serving. (I prefer it chilled.)