This recipe is best with
- 9 servings
- 2 cups buttermilk baking mix
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- ¾ cup dairy sour cream
- 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ cups pitted and halved fresh Northwest sweet cherries, divided
- Streusel topping: Mix baking mix, sugar and lemon peel. Combine sour cream, melted butter and egg; mix well.
- Add sour cream mixture to baking mix mixture and stir only until moistened.
- Fold in ½ cup cherries. Pour into oiled and floured 20cm square baking pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cherries and streusel topping over batter.
- Bake at 190°C for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centre comes out clean.
- Cherry streusel topping: Combine ½ cup flour, 3 tbsp packed brown sugar, ½ tsp ground cinnamon and ¼ tsp salt. Mix in 3 tbsp softened butter or margarine with a fork.
- Add ¼ cup chopped walnuts and mix well. Makes about 1 cup.