- 500g yam, cubed
- Enough oil for deep-frying
- 75g tang mein fun (wheat starch)
- Just enough boiling hot water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp concentrated chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 75g shortening
- Steam yam until soft and tender. Mash while still hot then mix in tang mein fun and just enough boiling water. Mix well into a dough. Add ingredients (A) and combine. Form the dough into a ring shape.
- Heat oil in wok. Place yam ring into a large enough perforated ladle and deep-fry until crispy and golden brown. Remove and drain well.