Make Hamburgers and Meatballs from scratch, it is easy and fun!
This recipe is best with
- 500g meat (250g beef and 250g pork. Pork may be replaced with chicken)
- 2 eggs
- 2 large potatoes or 3 small potatoes
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions
- 2 slices of bread, or 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Optional: ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Optional: ½ tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 cup milk
- Herbs to taste such as basil, rosemary, oregano, or thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste (1 tsp salt, minimum)
- Oil for frying
- Milk Gravy:
- 2 cups water, including water reserved from the boiled potatoes
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Optional: 1 or 2 drops of dark soy sauce, for color
- 1 tsp chopped onions
- 1 cup milk
- To prepare the meat: Defrost the meat for several hours beforehand.
- For the breadcrumbs: Toast two slices of bread and blend them.
- Peel the potatoes, wash them thoroughly, and cut into quarters. If you are not peeling the potatoes, be sure to cut out all the eyes, mold, or fungus growing on the potato skin. Remove any parts of the potato that are green as the green parts are toxic! Place the potatoes in a microwaveable bowl, and pour in enough water to just cover them. Cover the bowl and microwave for four minutes. Pour the water into a pot to reserve it to make gravy. Microwave the potatoes for another minute, covered.
- Peel, cut, and blend onions. Reserve a teaspoon for gravy if you are making meatballs.
- Using your hands, combine the meat in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, potatoes, onions, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and combine by hand. Note: It helps to have one person combining the ingredients while the other adds them into the bowl.
- Pour in the milk gradually until the mixture is just moist but not too wet. Note: you may not need all of the milk, or you may need more of it; use your judgment here.
- Season the meat with the herbs, salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Make a small test patty and fry it. This will allow you to taste the cooked meat to make sure it is properly seasoned.
- Add more seasoning if necessary, and test again.
- Shape the rest of the meat into patties or meatballs.
- Coat each patty or meatball in a little flour and lay them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Spread a layer of oil in a nonstick pan and fry the meat until browned, at 71C. Meat must be well done.
- To prepare the milk gravy, bring the water to a boil in a nonstick saucepan over a medium fire.
- Dissolve the stock cube and flour in water.
- Add in the onion and stir the gravy.
- Let it boil over a medium fire for about five minutes or until the gravy has boiled down.
- Add in the dark soy sauce and milk gradually. Stir, and bring to a boil again.
- Serving suggestion: Serve meatballs with warm gravy. Add boiled potatoes or pasta and vegetables such as carrots, lettuce. Fresh basil leaves can be used to garnish the dish.
- Putting the hamburger together, you can use any combination of the following items:Burger buns, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Butter, Lettuce leaves, Carrots - shredded, Tomatoes - sliced, Coleslaw, Ketchup/Tomato Sauce, Chilli Sauce