An experienced cook of over 50 years, Makcik Salmiah Isa was the private cook for the late Tunku Abdul Rahman. Makcik Salmiah shares with us a repertoire of recipes she has accumulated over the years that has touched many hearts and warmed many bellies!
With great pleasure, we share with you the third recipe – ‘Udang Masam Manis’ – from a series of 12 featuring our Trusted Brand partner, Salam Sauces.
- 8 Prawn (udang), wash & trim the head tip
- 1/2 inch Old Ginger (halia tua)
- 3-4 cloves Garlic (bawang putih)
- 2 Yellow Onion (bawang besar)
- 1 tsp Sugar (gula)
- 1 tsp Salt (garam)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder (serbuk lada hitam)
- 1 tbsp Tamarind (air asam jawa), soak in hot water
- 1 tbsp Salam Kicap Manis
- 1 tbsp Salam Sos Berperisa Tiram
- Garnish / Plating:
- Lettuce Leaves (daun selada)
- Prepare the prawns 1 night before. Mix all ingredients in a storage container, then put the prawns in & mix well. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prepare a deep fry pan to heat with sufficient oil. Insert the prawn one by one and fry until golden brown.
- Set aside to drain excess oil. Plate it with lettuce leaves as the base and serve hot.