Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan Breakfast recipes, A savoury breakfast. Burrito filled with scrambled tofu, roasted potatoes, vegan mayo and fresh greens. This is one of my favourites and so easy to make! No rice, no beans, no coleslaw. It is also a great way to switch up your breakfast. Packed with nutrients and protein too. The homemade tortilla wrap and mayo can be made in advance, or get the store-bought option as an alternative.
Featuring Chef Yong Mei Kei, the Director and Executive Chef at MIB College. She is a qualified food technologist and plant-based chef with a huge passion for food and well-being.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- Tortilla Wrap
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup Hot Water
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Tofu Scramble
- 2 Blocks Square Firm Tofu
- ¼ cup Cherry Tomatoes, Diced
- ½ cup Fresh Basil
- ½ tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- Roasted Potatoes
- 2 Medium Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ tbsp Corn Starch
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- Vegan Mayo
- ½ cup Soy Milk
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Sunflower Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Other Additions
- 2 cups Romaine Lettuce
- 1 cup Cucumbers, Sliced
- Lime or Lemon, Sliced, to Drizzle
- Tabasco Sauce (Optional)
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, then add vegetable oil and hot water. Mix until a rough dough forms, knead into a smooth ball.
- Leave the dough to rise for 15 – 20 minutes. Divide dough into 15g balls each. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly flour the benchtop, then use a rolling pin to flatten a piece of dough until it is thin, almost transparent.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Cook tortilla for 1 minute then flip over and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Transfer the tortilla onto a clean tea towel and keep it wrapped until ready to serve. Repeat the process with each dough.
- Transfer the block of tofu to a mixing bowl and crumble with a fork or your hands.
- Mix nutritional yeast, cumin powder, turmeric powder, black pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- With a pan on medium heat, add in oil. Add scrambled tofu, cherry tomatoes, basil and seasonings. Mix well and cook until well mixed.
- Soak the diced potatoes in water for 5 minutes to remove the access starch. Drain and rinse. Dry with a paper towel.
- Toss potatoes with paprika, chilli powder and corn starch until evenly coated. Transfer to a baking tray spread it out.
- Roast potatoes in the oven at 210ºC for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown. Baking time depends on the size of the diced potatoes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Blend soy milk and lemon juice in a blender.
- Gradually add in sunflower oil until smooth and thickened. Add the salt and adjust the taste.
- Place a piece of warm tortilla wrap on a large plate or board. Spread the vegan mayo, place the Romaine lettuce and cucumber neatly in the middle, spoon some tofu scramble and chilli potatoes, followed by Tabasco sauce and squeeze lemon juice over.
- To fold, pinch the edges of the tortilla and fold it over the filling. Tuck the fillings into the tortilla, fold the edges in again, and give it a roll. Cut in half and ready to serve.