Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan western recipes, Vegan Burger with Tofu Patty. This tofu-based burger is easy to make and healthy as it is baked in the oven rather than frying. It is assembled with a burger bun, vegan mozzarella, as well as your desired toppings: tomato, lettuce, pickled cucumbers or gherkins, vegan mayo, mustard sauce and ketchup. Enjoy with a side of salad or potato wedges!.
Featuring Chef Yong Mei Kei, the Director and Executive Chef at MIB College. She is a qualified food technologist and plant-based chef with a huge passion for food and well-being.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- Tofu Patty
- 1 packet Salted Firm Tofu
- 100 g Vegetarian Gluten
- 60 g Cabbage, Chopped
- ½ tsp Paprika Powder
- 2 tbsp Vegan A1 Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Vegan Mozzarella
- ¾ cup Soaked Cashew
- 1 ½ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Tapioca Flour
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- Other Additions (as needed)
- 6 Vegan Burger Bun
- Tomato, Sliced
- Lettuce, Pieces
- Pickled Cucumbers or Gherkins
- Vegan Mayo
- Mustard sauce
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Drain the tofu well, gently pressing out the excess water.
- Once the tofu is drained, gently mash and crumble into small pieces in a large bowl.
- Pulse the vegetarian gluten into small crumbs.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl. Mix to combine well.
- Divide into 6 patties. Gently press the mixture together to form patties, 1 cm wider than the burger buns. Optional to use around ring cutter to hold its shape.
- Place on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil.
- Baked at 210°C for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and ready.
- Drain the cashews, and add them into the blender with all the other ingredients.
- Blend until smooth, scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- In a small saucepan, pour the watery mixture in and bring to medium heat. Stir with a spatula or spoon.
- Allow to heat for a few minutes, it will begin to clump up. Stir continuously until it becomes gooey, stretchy, and thick.
- Remove from heat and place on the burger patties. It will form a stretchy vegan cheese.
- Slice the burger buns in half.
- To assemble, place the bottom part of the burger bun on the plate, top with vegan mayo, 2 pieces of lettuce, tofu patty, vegan cheese, sliced tomatoes, mustard sauce, ketchup, pickled cucumber and top of the burger bun.
- Enjoy with a side salad or potato wedges.