Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealthyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan dessert/bread recipes, Vegan Orange & Cranberry Scones. These scones are eggless and dairy-free. It has a good combination of crumbly, flaky and soft. With a light interior and a crisp and golden surface. The dried cranberry offers sweetness and a slightly chewy texture to the scones. It makes for a delightful teatime treat. Best enjoyed with jam and clotted cream, and with a side of English tea.
- 350 g all purpose flour
- 23 g baking powder
- 50 g sugar
- 3 g salt
- 85 g vegan butter or margarine
- 175 g soy milk
- 5 g lemon juice
- 4 g vanilla essence
- 60 g dried cranberry
- 12 g orange zest
- Additional soy milk (if needed)
- In a bowl, place in all purpose flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.
- Add in the vegan butter or margarine. Using your fingers, rub in until fine crumbs. Then mix in the sugar.
- In a jug, stir in the soy milk, vanilla essence and lemon juice, then set it aside for a few minutes.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients bowl and combine.
- On a clean work surface, dust some flour. Transfer the dough onto a flour dusted surface, sprinkle some flour on the dough.
- Gently knead the dough until smooth. Then press the dough down to about 3 cm thickness
- Cut dough into 4 cm squares and place them onto a lined baking tray with parchment paper.
- Brush additional soy milk over the surface.
- Place into the preheated oven at 200°C and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with jam and clotted cream. Enjoy!