This recipe utilises the flavours from the herbs and spices as well as the natural flavours of the vegetables. Take a break from the usual rice with meat and enjoy a healthy plate of vegetable rice instead.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Bean and Lentil Stew.
- Grilled Eggplant with Chermoula.
- Crispy Spiced Okra.
- Penne Salad with Roasted Pepper Sauce.
- Gnocchi in Cheese Sauce.
- Falafel with Tahini Yoghurt Dip.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- 4 tbsp palm oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 green cardamom pods, cracked
- 4 dried chillies, halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 10g ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 4 green chillies, seeded and sliced
- 400g basmati rice - rinsed, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 500ml stock - made from hot water, 2 vegetable stock cubes and 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 200g cauliflower florets
- 200g long beans, sliced
- 200g garden peas
- raisins for garnish
- cashew nuts for garnish
- coriander for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pan, then add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once they pop, add cardamom, dried chilli, cinnamon and cloves, followed by pepper and turmeric and fry till fragrant.
- Add ginger, garlic, onion and green chilli and fry till onion is soft.
- Add rice and fry till rice is translucent.
- Then, add stock, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower and long beans.
- Bring to a boil, cover pan and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add garden peas, cover the pan and turn off heat.
- Leave for 10 minutes, then garnish with raisins, nuts and coriander.